How to Relieve Coccyx Pain During Pregnancy?
The small bone that is located at the end of the spine, known as coccyx, can cause great discomfort. Pregnant women are very often suffering from certain pains in this area of the body, which can prevent a woman from sitting for long periods of time. This is because, during pregnancy, the curvature of the spine is longer, which causes this bone to be more exposed than normal, at the same time it becomes a mobile structure to facilitate the passage of the child through the channel. This mobility acquired by the coccyx considerably facilitates injury and may affect the area.
Despite the above, the discomfort in the coccyx of a pregnant woman may be due to the hormonal action that is greatly modified during the gestation stage, the postural changes that are taking while waiting for a child and, of course , can also be due to the weight of the belly, especially during the last quarter. If you want to know how to relieve coccyx pain during pregnancy, we invite you to read the following article.
Exercising calm the coccyx pain
Many women feel fear of physical activities during pregnancy; However, exercises for pregnant women can be very helpful for many aspects of pregnancy. Despite this, it is necessary to only perform the exercises recommended by the specialists and in the correct way, always taking care of your own health and that of the unborn child, however, it is important to always consult a specialist as there are certain cases, in which the future mother must take care of herself and her physical activity is reduced or even prohibited. To relieve the discomfort of the coccyx during pregnancy, it is recommended to perform physical activities such as:
- Prenatal yoga: improves balance and helps maintain a woman’s flexibility.
- Swimming: it is an ideal exercise for most pregnant women, as it is responsible for strengthening the muscles of the abdomen and back. Exercising in the water helps eliminate pressure on the joints and ligaments. If you do not want to swim, you can choose various aquatic exercises to relax and strengthen the body.
- Walking: hiking is a highly recommended exercise for all people, but above all for those pregnant women with coccyx pain. This is because it favors the strengthening of muscles and, at the same time, it is a low impact exercise.
- Stretching and pelvic tilt exercises: Perform various stretching exercises guided by a professional can help to noticeably reduce the discomfort in the coccyx, while strengthening the different muscles. Although they are simple to execute, it is important that they practice with a specialist to avoid straining the body and damaging it.
Paying attention to posture improves discomfort in the coccyx
Since maintaining the correct posture during pregnancy becomes a great challenge, it is important to pay attention to it to avoid and reduce different discomforts, such as the coccyx pain. For this it is recommended:
- Standing up constantly: it is difficult as the pregnancy progresses, so it is essential to remember to pull the shoulders back and stay as straight as possible for the longest time.
- Sit straight: if you spend a lot of time sitting, it is important that you keep your back straight to prevent back pain and various discomforts. You can choose to place your feet on a stool or use a small pillow behind the waist. Also, it is essential to get up and walk at least once for each hour sitting.
- Avoid standing a lot: if you have to stand a long time, it is necessary to take breaks during a certain time to rest your body and feet. If possible, it is recommended to take breaks while lying on your side.
- Wear comfortable footwear: to avoid worsening the posture and maintaining a correct balance, it is advisable to wear comfortable shoes and avoid using heels, as this could be harmful, causing the posture to be significantly deteriorated.
- Do not bend the waist to bend: when it is required to lift an object it is important not to bend the waist, but to bend the knees. In this way, it reduces the pressure suffered by the back and the discomfort generated by them.
- Divide the weight: if you need to carry bags or some objects, it is important that the weight is divided in both hands to try to maintain the correct posture and, in this way, prevent discomfort from appearing in the back or coccyx. Despite this, it is not recommended to lift a lot of weight, since it can be harmful for both the mother and the child.
- Sleeping on your side: although it is difficult to maintain a correct posture when sleeping, it is advisable to sleep on your side when your belly is already too big. In this way, pressures on the back are avoided and the baby is properly cared for.
Take care as much as you can to avoid discomfort during pregnancy
Relieving pain in the coccyx can be hard work, so it is important that you take care of yourself as long as you can and do everything you need to get rid of those discomforts. For this:
- Learn techniques to relax: staying relaxed is a key factor not only to relieve discomfort in the coccyx, but to carry the pregnancy and all the changes that it means in the best way possible. If you can not sleep because of the pain, you feel worried or you are just going through periods of insomnia, performing certain relaxation techniques can help considerably.
- Get warm in the area: many women say that applying heat to the place that feels pain can cause temporary relief. For this you can choose to submerge in warm water or use a bottle with hot water or an electric pad to place it in the painful area.
- Apply cold if the heat does not work: as for all things, there are women who do not reduce the pain of the coccyx using heat to the area. In these situations you can try to use cold packs in the area of discomfort, although it is advised not to apply the compress directly on the skin, for it may be wrapped in a towel, for example.
- Get massage: prenatal massages are highly recommended for most women; however, it is important that you consult with a specialist before submitting to one. Although your partner or an acquaintance can perform small soft and circular massages in the painful area, it is advisable to go to a professional to do it in the correct way and avoid any damage by a bad practice.
Read More Articles:
- Black Spots In Vision
- Enalapril Side Effects
- Why My Chest Hurts When I Swallow
- Boil in The Armpit
- Bubbles in Urine