Nose Bleeding In Pregnancy
Although nosebleeds may be frequent in certain people and pose no greater risks, many women are worried when nosebleeds occur steadily during pregnancy. This is because it is rare to know that this disorder is one of the discomforts of a child’s pregnancy because it is not very common, however, it is one of several alterations caused by hormonal changes that the expectant mother can experience during pregnancy.
Being a rare disorder that does not have too much information compared to other symptoms such as swollen feet, it is possible that both women and men are scared of this feature. If you find yourself in this situation it is essential that you consult a specialist, however, in the following article you will find plenty of information about nosebleeds in pregnancy.
Nasal bleeding during pregnancy: causes
One of the changes that causes pregnancy in women is the expansion of blood vessels, mainly those located in the nose. Also, another of the most frequent changes of pregnancy is the increase in blood supply caused by hormones, so there is more pressure on the vessels and, being much more delicate, causes a common injury and without seriousness.
It is for the above that the nosebleeds occur between 20% of women who are expecting a child. Despite feeling fears for nosebleeds that may occur regularly at any time of day, there is generally no risk to either the mother or the baby, however, it is essential to consult with the specialist.
Despite the detail, there are certain women who have not suffered any type of alteration of this type but they begin to have hemorrhages without any explanation or apparent reason. This can happen due to different conditions:
- If you have a cold
- He has sinusitis
- He has allergies.
- It has irritations in the membrane of the nose for dryness
All of them are factors that considerably increase the risk of suffering nosebleeds when a woman is pregnant.
It is for all this that it is recommended not to subject the pregnant woman to places with very dry, conditioned or heated environments for long periods. At the same time, suffering from trauma or certain conditions such as a coagulation disorder and having high blood pressure, can be the cause of nosebleeds.
How to stop nasal bleeding during pregnancy
If you find yourself suffering nosebleeds while pregnant, it is recommended:
- Sit and lean the body slightly forward without letting the head fall, that is, it must be kept high, above the level of the chest.
- Using the thumb and forefinger of the hand that you use the most, press firmly the soft part of the nose, that is, closing through the nostrils.
- Keep breathing through your mouth while pressing your nose without letting the holes open for about 10 to 15 minutes. It is important not to release the pressure to see if the bleeding stopped because it could interfere with the coagulation process and require more time.
- If you have the possibility of getting ice, you can apply a bag on the area to accelerate blood clotting.
- It is important not to lie down or tilt your head back, since you can swallow blood and cause nausea or vomiting. If the bleeding does not stop after 10 or 15 minutes pressing the area and applying ice, try again performing all the steps and visit a doctor.
Avoid nosebleeds during pregnancy
To prevent the occurrence of nosebleeds during pregnancy is recommended to drink a good amount of water daily to keep the body and all organs properly hydrated, you should drink 1.5 liters every day. Also, if you feel the need to blow your nose is important to do so smoothly, because if done with force can cause bleeding very easily.
When a pregnant woman needs to sneeze it is important that she tries not to close her mouth completely so as not to generate such a big pressure on the nose, causing a hemorrhage due to the increase in blood pressure, weak vessels and the strength of sneezing that make a perfect combination for the event.
If the woman is subjected to a very dry climate or in winter, it is advisable to use a humidifier. You can also choose this option if it is difficult to avoid being in heated areas. To this we must add that it is essential to get away from various irritants such as cigarette smoke.
In case of suffering from dry nose you can also use a lubricant to alleviate this symptom. It is advisable to consult with the doctor which is the most indicated but, generally, those nasal lubricants are based on water, which can be obtained without the need of a prescription.
Although nosebleeds are not usually an important factor, it is important to consult a doctor urgently if the bleeding does not disappear after maintaining pressure and placing ice for 30 minutes, if the amount of blood that leaves the body is excessive, if The future mother has difficulty breathing normally, if she suffers an injury or blow to the head, the skin becomes pale or if they feel discomfort in the chest.
Read More Articles:
- Can You Have Sex With Prostatitis?
- Why Do I Feel Hungry All the Time?
- Why My Armpits Sting When I Breastfeed
- sore lump in the little lips
- What Causes Tingling in the face?