The pain in back of head is also referred as occipital neuralgia. In this type of situation, the nerves which are connected to the scalp and the spinal scalp are injured or inflamed or suffer from any contraction. You will feel pain in the base of your head. Often people confuse the pain with a migraine, but the symptoms of a migraine are similar. The treatment and the cause of the pain are entirely different, and it is vital to visit your doctor for an appointment. The pain is also known as a tension headache which is caused because of the intense pain in the neck, behind your eyes or head. Tension headaches prove to be chronic for some people.
Symptoms of Pain In Back Of Head
Following are the symptoms which cause severe pain. Sometimes the pain feels that someone is hitting the head or jabbing the back of the neck. However, other symptoms are as follows
- A person would feel pain or the corners of theeye or behind the eye.
- He/she will have to suffer from the sensitivity to light
- You will feel pain while moving your neck
- The scalp of the head will become tender
- You will feel burning, aching and throbbing pain which will start at the back of the head
Causes of pain in the back of head
The pain in back of head causes because a person may suffer from the pressure or irritation in the occipital nerves. There may be a possibility that the nerves get contracted because of any injury or inflammation. Most of the time physicians are unable to find the cause of it. Following are the medical conditions which are linked to the cause of pain.
- Tumors in the neck
- Blood vessel inflammation
- Cervical disc disease
- Tension in the neck or when the muscles get tight
Some non-medical causes which let the muscle of the back and neck to contract. Some improper activities also become the reason of the contractions. People who have computer based jobs mostly suffer from the headaches because they have to look on the computer screen for a long time. Following are the non-medical causes of the pain
- Strain on the eyes
- Dry eyes
- You may have suffered from cold or flu
- Emotional stress
- Taking much caffeine
- Bad posture while sleeping
When you go to the doctor and tell your condition so, your physician will advise you to go through the some tests. Tests like CT scan, x-rays and the pictures of MRI, which will help the doctor to examine the internal organs.
Following are the home remedies which will help you to get rid of the pain in the back of the head quickly. If you still feel the pain then consult your doctor for proper medication.
- You should have to take rest
- Apply heat to your neck
- Massage the back of the neck and the muscles
- You can also use muscle relaxants if prescribed by the doctor