Causes of Palpitations In The Eye
It is very common, in fact, it has happened to all of us, that at any moment, being in any situation, suddenly we feel our eye throb or beat. This sensation may be occasional or lasting, and may also vary in intensity.
Usually this happens and does not imply seriousness or concern. What does happen is that this is usually an annoying and uncomfortable situation. Erroneously we think that the rest see what happens to us but to tell the truth it is a situation that is imperceptible for others. The palpitations in the eye actually occur in the lower and upper meadows due to involuntary muscle contractions, medically this sensation is known as eyelid fasciculations or ocular spasms. There are many doubts about this topic, but Overfitt.com will clarify all your doubts, we will explain the causes of palpitations in the eye and also talk about what to do when they occur.
Why do we feel palpitations in the eye?
Many of the causes are related to our lifestyle, something that undoubtedly completely affects our health:
- The first of these is fatigue resulting from overwork, especially excessive exposure to screens that includes computers, tablets and even smartphones that generate tension related to sight.
- On the other hand the second cause of tremor in the eyelid is given by stress, nervousness, and anxiety.
Although the ones we have just discussed are the main ones, we must still add other causes that may intervene in the appearance of tremor in the eyes:
- Caffeine: high caffeine consumption can cause the eye to have palpitations in a certain way. This is stimulating for the muscles and nerves.
- Smoking: related as a factor of corporal stress.
- Eye dryness: It can cause irritation in the eye and this causes the eye to throb or tremble.
- Nutritional imbalances: lack of intake of some nutrients.
- Allergic reactions: to external agents such as dust or makeup.
In extremely rare cases diseases of the eye can occur and this manifests itself with palpitations in it:
- Tourette syndrome: which is nothing more than a neurological disorder related to stress and manifested with repetitive tics.
- Peripheral facial paralysis: type of facial paralysis where damage to the facial nerve occurs in this paralysis tics, drooping of the eyelid or dry eye and in turn palpitations.
- Blepharitis: inflammation of the eyelids frequently associated with bacterial ocular infection or dry eye symptoms.
- Myochimia: disorder that affects the orbicular muscle of the eye and generates visible contractions in the lower eyelid.
Visit Article: Dry Eyes Due To Anxiety
What to do in case of palpitations in the eye and how to prevent them
Although they are involuntary movements, there are several ways to improve palpitations if you feel uncomfortable or tend to spread for longer:
- He blinks hard: this hydrates the eyes and stretches the muscles around him.
- Perform eye massage: increases circulation, stimulates and strengthens the muscles of the eye.
Although the ideal to improve the palpitations in the eye is counteracting the causes. This is possible:
- Avoiding the consumption of caffeine or at least decrease their intake.
- Adding another type of energy drinks to the daily diet.
- Try to increase the hours of rest, at least 8 hours a day is recommended.
- In case the cause is due to ocular dryness it is recommended to go to the specialist who will indicate to lubricate the eyes with special drops.
- Avoid situations that generate stress
- If we are in constant use of tablet computers or smart phones, we should take periodic breaks to rest our eyes.
- You should practice sports or other activities to control anxiety.
When palpitations in the eye are worrisome
This situation tends to be alarming or worrying and sufficient reason to go to the ophthalmologist when the following complications occur:
- Eye flushed.
- Palpitations that do not improve in a week.
- Eyelids that are totally closed and that hinders its opening.
- Palpitations accompanied by secretions of the eye.
- When, in addition to the palpitations, intense headache appears without any other cause.
- Palpitations in the eye with pain
There are many causes that generate palpitations in the eyes that can range from the simplest to the most complicated. Beyond what we explain in the article, if you feel worry or you are alarmed by the palpitations in the eye and cause discomfort you can visit your doctor to design an effective treatment for your case.
Read More Articles:
- What Causes Tingling in the face?
- How To Stop Nose Bleeding In Pregnancy?
- What Causes Coughing Pain In The Lungs?
- At What Age Do Babies See?
- Bleeding After Having Sex In Women
- Cramping In Pregnancy