Sore Throat When Swallowing: How To Get Rid Of
Swallowing is a normal procedure that we live beings, approximately we perform this process at least every 15 seconds to swallow saliva (not only with food intake) and sometimes we can refer a sore throat when swallowing. This pain may be a sign that something is happening, for example, there may be an infectious process in our body that causes a pain whose intensity may vary and we need to relieve to lead our lives normally.
Sore throat when swallowing
The sore throat when swallowing is a pain that is caused by the acute inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the pharynx or it can also be due to inflammation of the tonsils. This pain is characteristic because it hinders the swallowing of food, water and saliva, affecting the daily activities of the person. This pain can be felt in the upper part of the neck, the sensation is of burning or oppression and it can be a symptom of some disorder.
The act of swallowing is voluntary most of the time, however it is involuntary when it is not controlled and can compromise both nerves and muscles in the mouth, covering the throat and esophagus and this is why pain when swallowing is essential; Even to chew the food and push it back produces pain. It also causes a feeling that the food is stuck in the throat, as well as pressure in the neck.
Causes of Sore Throat:
Sore throat is a consequence of many problems. The most common cause of sore throat is that it is a sign that the flu is approaching or a cold, which can be caused by a bacteria or virus, in the background can be when you sleep with your mouth open, for example by nasal packing, can cause sore throat.
The throat pain when swallowing can also be due to an allergic process, because there is a constriction of the upper airways making swallowing difficult.
It can also be due to pharyngitis, being the most common throat infection produced by streptococcus, causing pain and is highly contagious. Another common infection is tonsillitis, with inflammation of the tonsils.
Read Also How to Get Rid Of Dry Throat
Sore Throat: Medications
This drug is the choice in the case of a bacterial infection and that it is known which bacterium is the one that causes it. You should never self-medicate, but with less antibiotics, there should always be a medical prescription behind the intake of this type of drug. Some of the most used are:
- Amoxicillin in a normal dose of 500 mg every 8 hours for 7 days, or amoxicillin of 875 mg + clavulanic acid 125 mg every 12 hours for 7 days.
- In case of allergic to penicillin, azithromycin of 500 mg every 24 hours for 5 days or clindamycin of 600 mg every 8 hours for 7 days will be indicated, all depending on the prescription of the doctor who treats it.
In case the sore throat is the product of an allergic reaction, the doctor will indicate the antihistamine consumption. Some examples of these drugs that can be obtained without a prescription are: Loratadine and Cetirizine.
Ibuprofen and Sore Throat
Another option to relieve the pain that occurs during swallowing can be taken over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen or paracetamol, its main function is to reduce or calm the pain generated by a condition in the throat, which may be due to irritation. You can also apply sprays that have an analgesic effect which has the same function, relieve pain.
My throat hurts when I swallow: what can I take?
Here are some of the best home remedies for when your throat hurts when you swallow:
- To relieve sore throat is always recommended to keep it moist, because it has been shown that the throat when dry feels irritated, eg constant gargling to soothe the pain and inflammation, can be infused with chamomile with warm water.
- Apple cider vinegar is excellent for eliminating throat pain when swallowing because the acidity it contains eliminates bacteria.
- Some infusions that can be effective to eliminate sore throat are those prepared with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper, which should be drunk slowly to give you time to soak your throat.
- The striped ginger, mixed with cinnamon, grated lemon peel and water is another very useful infusion. The idea is to heat this mixture on low heat for about 15 minutes and then consume three tablespoons of the infusion mixed with a cup of water and repeat the process about three times a day with the same preparation, which should yield for several shots.
Other Solutions To Sore Throat:
- In case you have frequent episodes of tonsillitis and pharyngitis and the drugs do not cause any effect, the surgical intervention of the same will be considered by a specialist and as indicated by the same.
- If you have nasal packing you should use a saline solution in the nasal holes to decongest the area, because it can cause a sore throat when swallowing.
- It is also recommended to eat mint candies or cold liquids to stimulate the throat and relieve pain.
- Vitamin C is good because it helps fight germs and increases the efficiency of the immune system, protecting the body from infections.
- If you present a sore throat when swallowing it is important that you attend the doctor quickly because it can be by multiple factors, he will be responsible for determining what originates it and what will be the protocol to follow to improve the condition
- Causes Of Headache Above Left Eye And How To Cure It
- 12 Causes Of Headache Behind The Left Eye
- 13 Causes Of Headache Behind The Right Eye
- 10 Causes of Red Spots In Eyes
- How To Treat An Ulcer In The Stomach
- How To Heal Sore On Nose – Effective Methods!
- 6 Main Causes of The Pain Behind The Eyes
- Low Progesterone Causes and Symptoms and Treatments
- 10 Causes of Waking Up with a Headache
- The Ultimate How Long Does Pneumonia Last